Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mother Nature's Power

We had another round of bad storms go thru tonight and lost power for a few hours. We had 80 mph winds go thru and really hard rains. We have some pretty good size limbs down in the backyard and it blew over our playhouse and just about everything that was in our yard is now against our fence. Nothing that bad, it could have been a lot worse. But, as we were without electricity for 3 1/2 hours (then we got it back for 20 minutes, only to have them go back out for an hour), but it was during this time that Tad and I were talking about the power of Mother Nature. Isn't it amazing sometimes? As much as I hate storms and I can not even fathom her power in a hurricane or tornado, isn't it amazing?? Nothing even compares to it. We can't prevent it or fight it, all we can do is protect ourselves from it the best we can. Pretty amazing sometimes, huh?? But, powerful or not, she sure can be a little nicer and quit taking my electricity away from me!! I had flashbacks to this winter when we had a horrible ice storm that left us in the dark for 48 hours!! It soooo totally sucked and unless you have ever experienced it, you don't understand how bad it was. It was not the TV at all that I missed (although I missed the noise of a TV or radio) , I missed the heat!! Our house got so cold. We were walking around with stocking hats on, mittens on, and 4 layers of clothes on. Looking back, the kids adjusted really well to all of it, but it sucked. We stuck it out thru one night, but when we woke up the next morning, man it was really cold then. We did our best to keep the kids warm and busy, but it was kinda dark even during the day and it was just so cold. Luckily, my mom got her electricity back on so we packed up and left for her place (which was a really good thing, because I lost it). I would never have survived 100 years ago, I like my heat too much and my hot food off the stove. And of course, I love having a light on with just a flick of a switch. Ahhh, modernization!!



Some not so great news. I woke up this morning all itchy and my right eye was swollen. So, I called the doctor and guess what it is? POISON IVY!! Lucky me!! It is around my right eye, by my ear, on my chin, on my neck, and a patch on my belly. How lovely! It itches like crazy, I just want to tear my skin off!! But, I got into the doctor and got on some medicine and cream for it, so hopefully it will be going away soon. I am not sure where I got it from, but we must have it somewhere here around in our ditch or by the creek. I hadn't had it since I don't know when, but I have gotten it the last 2 summers and the last 2 summers I have lived in this house. Hummmm, coincidence? Oh, I think so. This is about the last thing I need right now, worrying that my entire family is going to break out with poison ivy. Ugh!!! How very frustrating.


And, on a much lighter note, I just finished re-reading the 6Th installment of the Harry Potter books to get me up to speed. The last Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, comes out this Friday night at midnight. I am so ready for it and so excited. For those of you who are Harry fans, you so totally understand what a big deal this is. For those of you who do not read them, you should. It really is a great series of books. How will it end?? Will Harry die? Or, will he be the hero once again and finally kill Voltemort?? What will happen to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny?? Oh the suspense, I can't wait!!!!!! I want to get it all read before someone spoils it for me, so I am staying away from all media referring to HP until I get it read. So, if you get the book read, don't tell me anything no matter how much I beg. I want to read this one without knowing anything!! I just hope I can keep myself from reading the end or just skimming thru it to see what happens!! I know my sister Kim or nephew Payton will have it read in about 2 days, if not sooner!!

4 comments:

Kristi said...

hey jenna-
i agree mother nature power sure has some power! i have to say i didn't like being w/o power w/ 3 little kids-- it was hard for me in the summer cuz i got HOT! also so sorry you got poison ivy, i'm glad no one else has gotten it. have fun reading harry potter-- let me know what happens... i'm the movie watcher in the family =)
it was great to see you this weekend & i loved watching the kids today!
love ya,
k

Anonymous said...

About the power of Mother nature-- I am always amazed. I had the power outage this winter and again last week -- I can definitely handle it better in the summer, it does get hot without air conditioning but I can do that better than no heat in the winter. About Harry Potter - I read the 1st chapter at your house and could not wait any longer, I bought the book on my way home, so I am reading it now (it is sooo good). I can't wait to see how it all plays out but am sad that the series is over and we have no more to look foreward to. Talk to you soon. Love mom

kim said...

Had a great time w/ Jaden!! Thank you for letting her spend the weekend with us.

Poison Ivy - that b**ch!

Ahhh.....and Harry. I love Harry. And after finishing 7 - I have no doubt that he is totally hot.

:)

Sarah Brecht said...

I am like a third of the way through it and so sad that the book will be over soon. I think my mom finished it tonight and she will not answer any of my questions! I so want to know, but don't. I sat and looked at the book for over 20 minutes before I actually opened it. Roger of course does not understand as he does not enjoy reading what I read. I won't tell you anything, but you need to finish before you come visit so we can talk about it :)