
Does anyone want to play kickball?
Outside?
In the winter in Iowa?
With snow?
Not sure how warm it will be.
Any takers out there?? I wasn't either, but somehow our friend Joel talked Tad and I into playing in the 3rd Annual Walker Kickball Tournament this past Saturday. I know what you are thinking. "Walker has a kickball tournament". You bet they do. And guess to sponsors it? Nope, not Casey's. Nope, not the bank. Nope, not the insurance company. Yes, that's it, Winn's Alley (the bar) sponsors it. Who else would sponsor a kickball tourney in January in Iowa?
Waking up Saturday morning, going to play kickball was not on my list of fun things to do, I would have much rather stayed home in my nice warm house and played with the kids. Oh, and Tad did not play, he got called into work. So, at 9:15 AM, I headed out of the house to the ball diamond to play. Lots of layers on and my old softball cleats, I thought they would be good for traction. (I ended up putting on my snow boots, the snow was pretty deep on the diamond and I do not like my toes to get cold).
Double elimination.
I thought maybe I would be home fairly early today, that way the babysitter could get home early. The team I was on, The AssHats, took the field at 9:30. We played against my little brother in law, Tysons team. I thought for sure playing a bunch of 22/23 year olds, we didn't have a chance, but, low and behold? We won and I found out, it was actually pretty fun. Was I great? No, I hadn't played kickball since gym class back in '95. But, I wasn't horrible either. That was all I wanted, to not be horrible. And, I wasn't the oldest player out there. Score 1 on that. Next game, we played against Mikes Team (I think their name was The Frozen T-Bags?). They put up a great fight, but we ended up beating them, however I don't remember the score. They were by far the most fun to play against, as I knew many of the team members. However, it was in that game that I twisted my knee. Ouch!! But, don't worry, I made the all important catch, but hurt my knee in the process. (Yes, Tim, I know, Fat kids should not play kickball). Gotta have fun in the snow. Another break. Played a 3rd game. Won that one in extra innings. My knee still hurts. Another break. Another game. Lost 1-0. Tough loss, but we are in the finals with only 1 loss.
Championship game. It has been a long fun day out in the snow. Thankfully it was in the 30's and sunny. But, by this time it is 4:30 and I was so ready to be done playing. Neck in neck with the other team, aka last years winners. Some are tired. Some are drunk (no, I was not). Some people are cold. And some peoples knees hurt (mine). I am starting to get chilly.
And, in the end, The AssHats reigns as the winner of the day!! Yeah AssHats!! And what did we win?? A keg of beer of course!! A big YEEEEEE-HAWWWWWW to all my teammates, it was a lot of fun. And Joel, thank you for making me play, I enjoyed it. I just think I might to it again next year.
Now home to ice my knee and warm up.
No comments:
Post a Comment