Saturday, February 9, 2008

Shitty Monday

Well, life handed me a lemon this week, and believe me, I grabbed the tequilia and lots of it(refer to my quote of the week). Had a bad start to the week and haven't had much time to blog about it until now.

Monday morning, 8:00 AM, I was on my way to work in yet again shitty weather and on shitty roads in this very long winter, when I lost control and ended up in the ditch. That is the short story.

Now, the long story. I (thankfully) had just dropped the kids off at daycare when I had just returned to the slick 2-lane road. I met a car going the opposite way and just after it got by me, I started fish-tailing all about. I tried to get the car (my beautiful Ford Explorer that I love) under control, but everything happened so fast. The roads were slushy and had icy spots, it was raining out, and the temps were right around the 31-32 degree mark. All I could think was, "Thank GOD my kids are not with me" and I prayed it wasn't going to hurt. But, I was unable to get control of it and ended up in the opposite ditch, facing the opposite direction, tipped up on the passengers side of the car. It scared the living shit out of me! After I stopped and realized I was fine, I was actually thinking pretty clear. I shut the car off, got myself out of the seat belt, grabbed my purse (which was in the snow since the passenger window shattered), and proceeded to climb my way out up and out. Thankfully, just as I was coming up out of my window, my neighbor, who just happens to be superintendent of the schools, was pulling up and helped me out. Needless to say, I was pretty shook up. He was so nice and took me back home, safe and sound. I thought I had completely rolled it over, but after Tad got home and looked at the damage, he convinced me that I had only flipped up on the passengers side, not a complete roll (even though it totally felt like I had done a complete roll).

Now, I am scared shitless to drive on all these shitty Iowa roads, it won't stop snowing, and Old Man Winter can not leave fast enough for me. Man, I hate winter!!!

I have to thank God that it wasn't as bad as it could have been- I was alone and no other cars were involved. I was able to walk away and realize that yes, it is only a car. It is repairable. I am fine and alive. And again, Thank God the kids weren't with me.

For those of you who had the pleasure (?) of talking or seeing me Monday after it happened, thank you for listening to me and for letting me cry to you. I was a bit of a emotional basketcase. It took me almost 5 hours to get the nerve up to go out and get my kids from daycare. I real eye-opener for me was as I was trying to get up the nerve to get into the car again, I was watching the noon news and one of the top stories was of a driver that lost control on the roads was was hit by a semi and was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. I really realized how bad it could have been.

Now, we are dealing with insurance shit and the auto-body shop, and we still haven't heard what is going to happen with it all yet. All I know is in that short amount of time, I was able to cause thousands of dollars in damage to the car. It all sucks, but again, I walked away and am fine.



So only time will tell what will happen. Hopefully, the insurance comes back and will fix it right up and we will have it back in a couple weeks. The major damage being the passenger window shattered, the mirror came off, and lots of dents along the passenger side. It is drivable, not real safe though. In the mean time, I get to look cool in a brand new Dodge Avenger, curtesey of the insurance company. Not too shabby??!! But, it really makes no sense to me that a company will let me rent out a brand new car when I just put my old one in the ditch. Really doesn't make much sense. It would make more sense if they would say "you are obviously not a very good driver. Here is a 1980 station wagon to drive". I could hope for it to be orange with brown paneling. That would be safe!! (I know Kim and Kristi are laughing now).

To fore warn you all, don't get behind me on the roads because as long as the roads are shitty, I will only be going 20mph. I will be the slow asshole everyone will be bitching about. As long as I get home safe, that is good enough for me. But, for the record, I wasn't going that fast. Which I know is hard to believe as I have had plenty of speeding tickets in the past.


-oh, also sorry about all the profanity in this post. Hopefully it won't happen again. But, it felt good to get it all out! Also, sorry if there are a lot of misspelled words, I suck at spelling and my spell check won't work and it is late. Damn it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super glad that only the car was hurt, it is, after all, only a car and completely replaceable. Did you remember to get some pictures so you can scrap book about it?? without all the ---- words of course. Also, don't care what the cars behind you say, just be safe. Love ya. mom

kim said...

What a bummer of a Monday! I am soooo grateful that you weren't hurt ~ and that the kids weren't with you.
So, so grateful.....

xoxoxo to you all~

Sarah Brecht said...

So glad that you are ok and sorry that it happened :)