Thursday, November 6, 2008

An Amazing Story...

*This post as a short version and long version. Feel free to choose your preference. Choose neither. Or choose both, I will never know.The short version:

As I was blog-surfing the other day, I ran across this article that was so incredibly touching, sad, happy, and amazing all at the same time that I just had to share it. I don't quite know how to describe it, so I will just let you read it for yourself. Good luck getting through it without tearing up. I wasn't able to. A good cry always feels good.


The long version:

I am a blog surfer.

--I am not sure how many of you fellow bloggers or blog readers go blog-surfing (that is the term I use when I am on someones blog, then I go to one of their friends blogs, then to another friends blog and so on). Anyways, my sister Kristi has a friend out in DM, Laura, and I surf to her blog once in a while. I came across this article on her blog.


Before Laure posted about this particular article, I had occasionally gone and checked out her other bloggers and her "inspiring bloggers", (since I had nothing else to do, and yet it is usually past midnight and I should have been in bed and I knew I was going to regret staying up so late). Under her 'inspiring blogs' are blogs Nie Nie and C Jane (Nie Nies sister) and I had started to follow more regularly, as I also found them inspiring, enjoyable, and interesting. The article (and their blogs) are about Nie Nie (Stephanie Nielson), her husband, their 4 children, and their families. Nie Nie and her husband were in a private plane crash in August. They both survived, but suffered horrible burns over their bodies and have been in the hospital since. Their children are living with 2 of her sisters. I feel so incredibly sad for them and their families. I can't imagine what they are going through. It is just a touching story. I find myself checking up on them often.


This article is very touching. Maybe because I know the love I have for my family. Or the love I have for my sisters. Or the unconditional love I have for my nieces & nephews, and how I would do anything for them, including taking them into my home and raising them as my own. Or how much I love my children, a love that I can't put into words. A love that I didn't understand until I became a mother myself. And I can't imagine how it would feel to be in a hospital away from my children, my husband, my family, and my home for months at a time, not being with them everyday. Just the thought of it makes sick to my stomach.

Maybe because I understand how powerful LOVE is. How powerful FAITH is. How wonderful FAMILIES are. That is what this is, and amazing story about the power of Love, Faith, and Family.


This article also makes me feel to very lucky for my life and for all the wonderful people that I have in it. It makes me feel very lucky that I am the one who gets to tuck my children in at night. It makes me thank God for so many reasons.

Yet, it is a realization that life really can change in just one short moment and may never be the same. A realization that life is short and unpredictable. I pray to God I will never have to experience anything like it.

Whatever it was, it touched me. Just read this article if you have a few moments, it is amazing. But, you may want to grab a kleenex first.

2 comments:

Mike, Heather, Dylanne and Micheala Schrock said...

thank you for sharing such an amazing story!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a story, how incredible. There is truly nothing like the love of a sister, no matter what, you know they are there. I guess I needed a good cry, this definitely made that happen. Makes me thankful for the health and happiness of my family.