Thursday, February 11, 2010

Weekend Getaway for 2

Last weekend, Tad and I snuck away to a bed and breakfast in Dubuque. I have been saying for years that it would be fun to go and stay and one and Tad finally caught on:) So for Christmas, he booked us a weekend at a the Hancock Bed and Breakfast. I loved it!!

It is not easy for us to get away anymore with 3 young kids, so it was nice to have 24 hours of just us!! The kids didn't mind at all, they were split between the grandmas and had lots of fun! The girls went to my moms with their cousin Bailey, and anytime Bailey is around, the girls have a blast. She is nine and they look up to her and think she is the greatest thing EVER!! It is fun to see them together. Cael went to Tads parents and got full attention from them and played lots of trucks!!

To start the weekend off (after dropping kids off), we headed out for a nice relaxing drive and headed straight for Vans Liquor Store in East Dubuque. Have you ever been there?? It is well known to have cheap prices and has every kind of liquor and beer you could want. Tad loves this place! Always gotta stop when in the area. This was also the place we stopped when heading to the Aerosmith concert last summer and Tads Dad grabbed a bunch of little shooters that got a few people feeling a little bit too good!

Next stop- CASINO!! We are not big gamblers at all, but it is fun and if I had the money, I could definitely be addicted to it!! It is also comical to me to see all the retired people there, spending their SS checks and having nothing else to do. Cracks me up. I would win $20 here, $15 there, but eventually, ended up giving it all back. I can never just walk away! Tad on the other hand, walked away winning $125.00!!! He was pretty jacked up about it. He was playing slots and was on his last spin and he hit! It is not the lottery, but $100 bucks is $100 bucks!
On our way out, we walked around a little and they were holding an auction for some cool sports memorabilia and looked what I found!! A Joe Montana signed jersey (for those of you who don't know, I am a big 49er fan and LOVE JM-best QB ever!) Minimum bid was $750 bucks. I looked at Tad and smiled the sweetest smile I could, but Tad said no.
So, this was the closest I will ever get to Mr. Montana. Ahhh.

Then, we headed to the B&B. It was very nice. See the rounded part? The part on the 3rd floor was our room and our whirlpool tub sat out in that rounded part!
It was so sweet and relaxing. We had a great view of the downtown and river. After checking in, the first thing we did was fell asleep and took a nap. Sad I know, but that was the first time in forever that I have taken a nap at 4 pm on a Saturday. Felt good:) Then we headed out to eat. We found a nice spot downtown and had some yummy ribs and drinks. Then we headed back to the B&B and sat in the whirlpool for 2 1/2 hours. I don't even know when was the last time I took a bath, I think it was when I was instructed to do after Cael was born (which I didn't).
It was soooooo relaxing. The best thing about staying there was it was so quiet, something I haven't experienced in our house for 6 1/2 years. Very different from staying in a hotel. We only had a 13" TV in our room, it was only on for maybe a half hour. Just relaxed and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Hoping to get back again, maybe next year. I would highly recommend staying in one, it was great! Then Sunday, we headed back home to reality- hectic schedules, chaotic house, and loud kids!! Gotta love life!!

No comments: